Pages

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Book Review: Parenting the Heart of Your Child by Diane Moore



Book Description:

Parenting the Heart of Your Child offers practical strategies and tools for parents to help their children become morally mature people who make good decisions when no one is looking. Using God’s plan for human development, parents can assess their children’s maturity stage and help them move to the next level. The result, says Diane Moore, is heart maturity, not just compliance with rules.



My thoughts:
Parenting the Heart of Your Child by Diane Moore was a recommended book at my monthly home school meeting. The basis of the book is based the author's own research of scripture and Lawrence Kohlberg theory of "the six stages of moral development." The author breaks down the six stages of Moral Development as follows:

Level One: It's all About Me!
Stage 1-Fear of Punishment
Stage 2-Anticipation of Reward

Level Two: It's All About Us!
Stage3-Crude Conformity
Stage 4-Majority Rules

Level Three: It's Bigger Than Us!
Stage 5-Self-Evident Truths
Stage 6-Love and Truth

I really liked how this material was presented and it really stuck a chord with me. As my husband and I have been raising our children we have been trying to focus on teaching them "why" something is wrong and not that it is wrong because "I" say so. I, also appreciated her covering the influence of the postmodern world and how to guide our children through it. Parenting the Heart of Your Child definitely gave me food for thought and I will be adding it to my personal library in the near future.

5 comments:

  1. Definitely sounds like a worthwhile book. Parenting isn't easy, especially these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth! You won Leaving Carolina! Please email me with you address.

    sundaisy920 at gmail dot com

    Thanks and Congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book sounds interesting! Glad to hear about it! Blessings to you...
    Joyfully,
    Wlie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave you an award on my blog. You can find it at:

    http://leesmithwriting.blogspot.com/2009/11/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good one on Book Review: Parenting the Heart of Your Child by Diane Moore - it helps a lot!

    We clearly share similar parenting experiences and views.
    I've been reading one that I'm hooked on - http://todayscliche.com/.
    I have a feeling you'd get a lot out of it.

    Incredible job on your blog; keep it up.

    Thanks,
    karim

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails