Pages

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Book Review: From A Distance by Tamera Alexander



Book Description:
What happens when the realization of a dream isn't what you imagined... and the secret you've spent a lifetime guarding is finally laid bare?

Determined to become one of the country's premier newspaper photographers, Elizabeth Westbrook travels to the Colorado Territory to capture the grandeur of the mountains surrounding the remote town of Timber Ridge. She hopes, too, that the cool, dry air of Colorado, and its renowned hot springs, will cure the mysterious illness that threatens her career, and her life.

Daniel Ranslett, a former Confederate sharpshooter, is a man shackled by his past, and he'll do anything to protect his land, and his solitude. When an outspoken Yankee photographer captures an image that appears key to solving a murder, putting herself in danger, Daniel is called upon to repay a debt. He's a man of his word, but repaying that debt could bring secrets from his past to light.

Forced on a perilous journey together, Daniel and Elizabeth's lives intertwine in ways neither could have imagined when first they met . . . from a distance.


My thoughts:
I have really enjoyed Tamera Alexander's previous books and I looked forward to reading From a Distance. I was to be disappointed--I hated the beginning of the book. I really didn't like the main character at all, even though the things I disliked about her came out in the open by the end of the story. I also think the description that was given on the back of the book was VERY misleading. I don't know about anyone else, but I expect that what I read in the book description to actually happen throughout the book and not just to happen in the last 1/4 of the book. That left me to sludge through the first 3/4 of the book trying to figure out what was going on! I did enjoy the end of the story, but I don't know if it makes up for the slowness and boredom I experienced in the first part.

1 comment:

  1. It's a shame it didn't live up to your expectations.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails