Pages

Friday, January 28, 2011

Book Review: Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey

SatReviewbutton

The Daughter of Time

Book Description:
Josephine Tey re-creates one of history's most famous -- and vicious -- crimes in her classic bestselling novel, a must read for connoisseurs of fiction, now with a new introduction by Robert Barnard
Inspector Alan Grant of Scotland Yard, recuperating from a broken leg, becomes fascinated with a contemporary portrait of Richard III that bears no resemblance to the Wicked Uncle of history. Could such a sensitive, noble face actually belong to one of the world's most heinous villains -- a venomous hunchback who may have killed his brother's children to make his crown secure? Or could Richard have been the victim, turned into a monster by the usurpers of England's throne? Grant determines to find out once and for all, with the help of the British Museum and an American scholar, what kind of man Richard Plantagenet really was and who killed the Little Princes in the Tower.

The Daughter of Time is an ingeniously plotted, beautifully written, and suspenseful tale, a supreme achievement from one of mystery writing's most gifted masters.
My thoughts:
While browsing my library bookshelves for something to listen to, I picked up The Daughter of Time, narrated by Derek Jacobi. I really did not know what the story was about, except that my son will be reading it next term for school. Wow, was I ever surprised! I absolutely loved this book. The whole weaving of the "modern" characters along with  the research done about Richard III made for an exciting, interesting, humorous and very compelling story. Derek Jacobi does a wonderful job of narrating. Hopefully, in the future I will get back around to actually reading The Daughter of Time and other books that Josephine Tey has written.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favorites. YOu really should read some of Tey's other mysteries some time, although Daughter of Time is my favorite of hers and different from the rest which don't contain the historical aspect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book has been on my radar for years, but I never thought to look for the audio version. I love Derek Jacobi so it sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails