Pages

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Summer Reading with the Kids!

Kids' Picks
Our summer is sure flying by! I have been encouraging the kids to get some reading done everyday. We just took a small day trip and listened to Treasures of the Snow (Library Edition) as we traveled. We are reading aloud Adam of the Road (Puffin Modern Classics) in the evenings when time permits.

Caleb has started listening to the Lord of the Rings trilogy. He has finished The Fellowship of the Ring (The Lord of the Rings, Book 1) and is currently listening to The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, Book 2). He is also whipping through Hardy Boy books.

Chantry is just starting to read to himself is currently reading books from the Magic Tree House series. He also has listened to The Enchanted Castle and More Adventures of the Great Brain (Great Brain, Book 2).

Delani has had her small share read aloud to her. Classics such as Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed (Board Book), Good Night, Gorilla, Dr. Seuss, Beatrix Potter books and Winnie the Pooh story books have been read and read again.

Destini, who is my devourer of books, is currently on a mission to read all of the Nancy Drew books. She also listened to and thoroughly enjoyed the The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy, The Penderwicks on Gardam Street, and The Penderwicks at Point Mouette.  Here is picture of a small sampling of what she has read and listened to so far this summer.


To see what other kids are reading hop over to 5minutesforbooks.com and check out other Kid's Picks.

5 comments:

  1. I like Destini's choices!! My daughter loves books and audiobooks as well. I've heard that the Penderwicks are good on audio, but we haven't tried them yet in that form.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My kids are just starting to get into audiobooks and I hope they continue to enjoy them. And "devourer of books" sounds like a good description of Destini!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My oldest LOVED the Magic Tree House series, and I think my daughter will soon, too. Sounds like your kids are future readers of 5M4B! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth! I followed your blog link from the AO Yahoo group and I'm so glad I did. Not to be sterotypical, but it looks like we atttend the same type of church! I've always wondered if anyone else out there used AO:)

    Mrs. H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I loved Patricia M. St. John's books as a child! I need to introduce them to my eldest!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails