Pages

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Heiress by Susan May Warren



Book Description:
The beautiful heiress daughters of newspaper magnate August Price have been given everything their hearts desire. But what if they want only to be loved--without an enormous price tag attached? When one daughter pursues a desirable marriage, she secures for herself a comfortable and glamorous life. But among the duties of privilege, will she also find the happily-ever-after she seeks? Her sister rejects the trappings of wealth, choosing instead to build a new life on the still-untamed frontier. Will she find happiness in independence or discover that she's left her heart behind in New York's glittering society? Set in the opulent world of the Gilded Age, each woman discovers that being an heiress just might cost her everything--including the chance for true love.

My thoughts:
I have really enjoyed Susan May Warren's books in the last few years and I was excited to read Heiress (Daughters of Fortune). The beginning of the story reminded me of another book I had read recently set during the Gilded Age, which I found depressing. I was disappointed and almost gave up reading the book. I decided to keep going a little bit more and thankfully the book took a different turn, well actually, several different turns and by then I was hooked.

Heiress (Daughters of Fortune) is an epic story that spans quite a bit of time. Esme and Jinx are sisters whose lives take very different turns, but even though one shuns society and one thrives in it, it does not bring them happiness. Ultimately, deceit and selfishness lead to a lives of unhappiness and hopelessness. Slowly they come realize that the love of God can heal and help.

While I was reading I kept thinking that the story reminded me of a Bible story, but I couldn't put my finger on it. At the end of the book the author noted that this story an adaptation of Jacob and Esau. This is a heart-stopping story that you won't want to put down. I definitely look forward to reading more books in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails