Pages

Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Homeschool Mother's Journal - The Sewing Edition along with Curriculum Choices

My happy girl showing off her new skirt.
In my life this week…
We started our week off with our exciting adventure at the county fair. I am happy to say we had a relatively quiet and boring week. We also have had some weird weather. Cold, hot, cold, hot! Cloudy, sunny, cloudy, sunny! Please weather, just make up your mind.

I spent most of the week sewing and avoiding all things homeschool, except all the wonderful blog posts that actually made my TBR book list even longer and made me feel a little guilty that I haven't planned anything. Oh, I take that back, I did sit down and plan what I was going to buy at Exodus Books when I finally make it there next week.

I was also able to meet up with an out of town friend this week and we went out to eat for lunch. This was all squeezed into a day with a doctor's appointment and being sent to the appliance store to buy a part for our dryer that went out--again.

In our homeschool this week…
Does reading count?

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share…
I really enjoyed reading this series about planning your homeschool for the year. I do something similar, but not as in depth.

I'm inspired by...
Chantry has really taken off in his reading in the last two weeks. He read The Horse and His Boy in just a couple of days and completely shocked me.


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…
Caleb went back to the ophthalmologist for an update on his eye. Overall, everything looks great, but his right pupil is larger than his left. The doctor said that his pupil may always remain that way since that is something very common for they type of injury he sustained.

My favorite thing this week was…
My husband was driving home from work when a car pulls along side of him and young lady hollers out to him, "I love your bald head!" He came home and told me and I died laughing. He didn't think it was too funny, but I'm always telling him that God gave him a good looking head.


Thoughts I have…
I have most of our curriculum thought out and ideas swirling around.

Math: Math-U-See
Chantry - Delta, drills, Xtramath.org
Destini- Epsilon, Xtramath.org
Caleb - Geometry

History & Literature:
Chantry & Destini - Ambleside Online Year 4
Caleb - All American History Book 2, Literature from Ambleside Online, Government & Economics (I have no clue what I'm using yet.)

Science:
Chantry & Destini - Exploring Creation With Zoology 3, Notebooks
Caleb - Finish up his biology from last year, Geology curriculum from Northwest Treasures.

Language Arts:
Chantry: We will be working on improving reading, especially multi-syllable words, Grammar-Land by M.L. Nesbitt and Reason for Handwriting Transition. I haven't decided yet on spelling or if we will do an actual language arts curriculum or not.
Destini - Rod & Staff Spelling 5th Grade, Language Lessons for the Secondary Child, Creative Writer Level 1 and Type It.
Caleb - English Grammar 101, Writing With Skill Level 1 - Student Workbook.

We will also be adding a time of Bible, memory work (Bible & poetry), art & music study, current events, P.E., & hand crafts.

Things I’m working on…
Sewing. I also am making a notebook to store my sewing patterns, especially the ones I want to work on. I am using a smaller notebook so I can carry it with me. I don't know how many times I get in the fabric store and have no clue how much fabric I need because my pattern is at home.

I’m reading…


I’m cooking…
I'm not commenting on this particular subject.

I’m grateful for…
Time to spend doing things I enjoy.

I’m praying for…
My friend, Lesly.
My parents - for a safe journey as they fly out to visit next week.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share…

I need this posted in my sewing area, since this is my motto!

I am linking up at iHomeschool Network & Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

4 comments:

  1. We need that sewing sign, too! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Apologia Zoology series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are using Math U See and A REason for Handwriting too. Hope you have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed reading your curriculum plans.

    We use Apologia for science too. This coming year we will be studying Botany.

    If you are interested in connecting with other Apologia users, I host an Apologia Blog Roll that you can link up to here:

    http://myjoy-filledlife.blogspot.com/2012/07/apologia-blog-role-2012-2013.html

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails