Pages

Monday, December 31, 2012

Top Reads of 2012

Here is my top reads that I read for 2012. I have divided them by fiction and non-fiction, other than that they are listed in no particular order.

Non-Fiction:


1. Lit!: A Christian Guide to Reading Books by Tony Reinke (review)

An encouraging read on why Christians should read and what to read and how to be more intentional in your reading. Excellent!

2. Who Gets the Drumstick? - A Story of a Widow and Widower Who Met, Fell in Love, Married and Lived Happily Ever After by Helen Beardsley

This is the book that inspired the film, Yours, Mine and Ours. As much as I enjoy the film (featuring Lucille Ball and Henry Fonda--not the other one), the book was sooo much better. Maybe not as exciting (not so many pranks), but so much more depth to the story. Very pro-life and pro-family. If you can find a copy, get it and read it!

3. Parenting by The Book: Biblical Wisdom for Raising Your Child by John Rosemond (review)

A very practical, no-nonsense, parenting book. Probably one of the best parenting books I've read.

4. My Reading Life by Pat Conroy

This was my second time I've read this book and noticed I have never reviewed it. Shame on me! On the other hand maybe I prefer to keep this little jewel to myself. Pat Conroy's writing is raw and rough, but at the same time he has inspired me to pick up books I didn't think I even ever wanted to read! Now that is a writer.

Fiction:


1. Money in the Bank by P.G. Wodehouse (review)

P.G. Wodehouse--do I need to say more?

2. Okay for Now by Gary D. Schmidt (review)

Excellent coming of age story. It made me laugh and cry.

3. Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome (review)

Love a good adventure story? Then highly recommend Swallows and Amazons. This was  a book I read aloud to me kids and they thoroughly enjoyed it.

4. Men of Iron by Howard Pyle (review)

Another read aloud. My kids loved this book!

5. The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas (review)

It looks like I have a thing for adventure stories and you can't go wrong with The Three Musketeers.

1 comment:

  1. My TBR list is growing! I'm definitely adding the Rosemund book to my list since I've been looking for another parenting book to read. Thanks, Beth!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails