Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

What's On Your Nightstand - October

What's On Your Nightstand

While writing this post I was surprised at how much I read. I know I had at least a week that I didn't get anything read and seeing the final results I am in shock. A few books I had been reading on for a while and just happened to get them finished this month, so please understand I didn't start everyone of these books in October and finish them before today. I took a trip earlier this month which gave me quite a bit of time to get some audio books in also. I am not too sure what November will bring, but I want to make a good attempt at my Nightstand pile. I am pretty sure I won't get through Gone With the Wind, but I want to start it.

For November:

From September's Nightstand I read:
  • The Life Ready Woman: Thriving in a Do-It-All World by Shaunti Feldhahn - This book really surprised me. I had almost donated it before reading it, but decided since I bought the book I should read it and I am glad I did. The title is misleading, but the main focus is how a woman needs to know what her core values are and how to line them up with God's Word rather than what our culture says woman should do. There were a few points in which I couldn't support, but overall a worthwhile read.
  • Practicing Hospitality: The Joy of Serving Others by Pat Ennis & Lisa Tatlock - Recommended by Carrie at Reading to Know. This book just fell flat for me. The writing style was very dry and since the kitchen is not where I shine it was hard to get excited about anything. (This year I have done more entertaining than I have ever done and I have one more big event to go, which the thought of it makes me want to go run and hide.)
  • Hatteras Girl by Alice J. Wisler - 3rd book in the Heart of Carolina Series. I didn't like it as well as the first two.
  • Tears of Pearl (Lady Emily Mysteries) by Tasha Alexander - I enjoyed the previous Lady Emily books, but this one was disappointing. I was particularly annoyed and saddened at the attitude portrayed by Lady Emily at finding herself pregnant and all she could think about was how it was going to tie her down at home, etc, etc, etc. I really struggle with author's who tell their story in another time in history, but makes them think and act like how our world today.
  • A Bitter Truth (Bess Crawford Mysteries) by Charles Todd - This series is becoming a favorite. Engaging from beginning to end.
I also read:
I listened to:
  • Beauvallet by Georgette Heyer - This story is a very different Heyer novel. It included pirates, the Spanish Inquisition, sword fighting, and a lot of suspenseful and fun moments.
  • Cotillion by Georgette Heyer - Another Heyer book that doesn't follow her typical format. This was a re-read though I didn't realize it when the story began, but the more I listened the more I realized that I knew what was going to happen. Fun read!
See what others have read over at 5 Minutes for Books.

5 comments:

  1. You read like I do. Several books here and there instead of one start to finish. So some months it looks like I read more than I actually did too.

    I'm not big in the kitchen either so I'd rather not even read hospitality books. ha. But now and again one will really speak to me. I haven't read this one you mentioned.

    For awhile I read more about scrapbooking than I did it too. Now I don't even read about it; I just feel guilty about the materials still in my closet. ha. Maybe one day...? Thanks for sharing your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always have a pile of books going at the same time too. Annoys my husband who can only focus on one book at a time. :-)

    I really like the Bess Crawford books too. I recently started another series by the same author - the Inspector Ian Rutledge series. It's good too.

    Haven't read a G. Heyer books in ages so I just put Beauvallet on my library list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, as always, I'm impressed, even with your explanations. ;). I read GWTW this year and decided I really don't like Scarlett O'Hara.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am already pretty sure that I don't like Scarlett. I think that is what makes me hesitant to read it.

      Delete
  4. Hospitality can be such a challenge! I have gotten better over the years being married to an extrovert, lol.

    I tried reading the The Reading Promise some time back. It wasn't what I expected and I didn't finish it. Look forward to hearing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails