Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

Book Review: Motivate Your Child by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN

Motivate Your Child 

Having a motivated child is probably every parent's wish. How to achieve that goal is a whole different matter. Recently I had the opportunity to review Motivate Your Child: A Christian Parent's Guide to Raising Kids Who Do What They Need to Do Without Being Told by Dr. Scott Turansky and Joanne Miller, RN, BSN, founders of the National Center for Biblical Parenting.

Motivate Your Child is a practical book that is filled with ideas and examples to help parents equip their children to have internal motivation for life. The book is divided into two parts.  The first part deals with moral development in children. It covers such topics as:
  • Internal vs. External Motivation
  • What is the Conscience?
  • Helping kids choose to do what's right
  • Learning to value integrity
  • Compassion
  • Consequences
  • And more
The second part deals with the spiritual development in children. It covers such topics as:
  • Family Time
  • Relationships are foundational
  • Practicing your faith
  • Using scripture creatively and connecting them to the Bible
  • Children and the Holy Spirit
  • And more
One of the main premises of this book is teaching your child to be aware of their conscience and how it helps them learn to do what is right, deal with wrongs, be honest, and care about others. Of course, the conscience is so much more powerful with the power of the Holy Spirit, and the authors don't disappoint in showing how to implement the Bible and teaching your child how to have a relationship with God.

Throughout the book there are many practical suggestions and examples for parents to use with kids. But don't worry, there is also thought provoking questions and advice for the parents themselves.
I found myself shaking my head in agreement many times and jotting down a note here and there to implement with my kids. Such as:
When we rationalize a child's bad attitude, we miss opportunity to teach honor. p. 93
One of my favorite suggestions was the use of a Weekly Family time where you take the time to develop godly character in your kids. I know for a fact that this is hard to do. I found it reassuring that they encourage over and over to keep working for this goal no matter how times you drop the ball.

I think one reason this book resonated so much with me is that I was blessed to raised this way and I was strengthened in my resolve to pass this on to my kids. Some days I have my doubts if I am really getting through and I found this statement encouraging:

You're only influencing your children for God's purposes. It's God who ultimately changes your children's hearts. (p.195)

Motivating Your Child can be a "motivating" book for any parent and I highly encourage you to check it out. If you order your book TODAY (January 31) you can email your receipt to gift@biblicalparenting.org and you can receive The Bonus Parenting Strategy Pack which includes: • Toolbox of Consequences Video and Study Guide • Kids and Conscience Video and Study Guide • Children’s Activity Lessons for Conscience Development • Child Teaching Points • Make Devotions Fun MP3 • How to Develop Gracious Speech MP3nce Development • Children’s Activity Lessons on Correction • Strong Willed ($150 value).

Motivating Your Child is available through the National Center for Biblical Parenting, Amazon, Christianbook.com and many more retailers.

NCBP Blog: www.biblicalparenting.info
NCBP FB Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/National-Center-for-Biblical-Parenting/116883041645
 Motivate Your Child Disclaimer

3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fantastic resource! I've read one I'd their other books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I read Good and Angry a few years back and enjoyed it. I have Say Goodbye to Whining sitting on my TBR shelf.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails