Pages

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Wednesdays with Words (Penrod - Part 2)

http://ladydusk.blogspot.com/search/label/Wednesdays%20with%20words

We are still reading aloud Penrod by Booth Tarkington. Tarkington loves big words which I am tripping my way through, but I have a new problem--laughter!! Oh my, Penrod is so naughty, but so funny!

 

The serious poetry of all languages has omitted the little brother; and yet he is one of the great trials of love--the immemorial burden of courtship. Tragedy should have found place for him, but he has been left to the haphazard vignettist of Grub Street. He is the grave and real menace of lovers; his head is sacred and terrible, his power illimitable. There is one way--only one--to deal with him; but Robert Williams, having a brother of Penrod's age, understood that way.

Robert had one dollar in the world. He gave it to Penrod immediately.

Enslaved forever, the new Rockefeller rose and went forth upon the highway, an overflowing heart bursting the floodgates of song. (p. 161)
And from this point Penrod is off on another adventure!

4 comments:

  1. Martin Cothran talks about this book in his talk about "bad boy literature" along with Huck Finn and others. The quotes you've posted are certainly appealing. One of these days ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it is schedule in AO Year 6. My oldest didn't get to read it since I couldn't find a copy when he was in Year 6. I'm glad was able to find it before the we started Year 6 this year.

      Delete
    2. Awesome! That means I should get to it in 2 years :)

      Delete
  2. "Enslaved forever, the new Rockefeller rose and went forth.." :) Penrod is now on my ever-growing to-read list. :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails