Pages

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Wednesdays with Words (Being Flexible)


 

Every year I make a schedule out, and every year even when I leave a little room in the schedule something always seems to come up and mess it up. For the last four years my kids have attended an convention where Christian school and homeschool kids come from around the Northwest and compete in academic events, speaking events, music, art, sports, and photography.

That time is soon approaching (a whole month earlier than last year) and we are now in a mad race to get finished. Chantry is working on polishing up his poem and he will also be preaching along with photography and a science project. Destini is working hard to complete a cross-stitch project and still wants to sew a quilt and a few other things that have been put on hold. Cross-stitch is the big focus right now.

Needless to say I had to decide to set aside academics for now while we focus on these projects, because in the long run I know these are important skills for them to know and have. I randomly picked a book on my Kindle, The Busy Homeschool Mom's Guide to Daylight by Heidi St. John for one of my Nightstand picks for March and I must say it has been a refreshing read--not deep, but it like a breath of fresh air.

Here are a few things that I found encouraging for this season that I'm in right now.

The key to successful planning is understanding that even the best plans need to be flexible. Successful homeschoolers plan for the seasons of life. 

The ability to flex with life is what most successful homeschool moms have in common. 

Right now I am attempting to be flexible as we have set academics aside (but not read-alouds!)and when the competition is over we will pick up where we left off. I admit I'm a little nervous about getting everything done before June (my brain stops working in June), but this is where I am going to rely on God to help me to focus on what is important and let the little things go as we complete our school year.

2 comments:

  1. I was just looking into this book today. Hmm, now to decide if I need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate that reminder. I've been berating myself for our lighter school, but we've been off for dental work and recovery and sickness. It will be OK. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails