Pages

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Wednesdays with Words (The Princess Bride)


My quote today is not deep at all. I have jumped out of my typical reading box and have picked up something a genre I normally avoid and am reading The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure by William Goldman. I saw the movie years ago and thought it was so stupid, but so far I have found the book way more enjoyable and it is quite funny. I found this section tickled my funny bone and faintly has the feel of a scene from Don Quixote.

 

 "There is probably a more logical explanation," the Sicilian said. "But since no one in Guilder could know yet what we've done, and no one in Florin could have gotten here so quickly, he is definitely not, however much it may look like it, following us. It is coincidence and nothing more." 
 "He's gaining on us," the Turk said. 
 "That is also inconceivable," the Sicilian said. "Before I stole this boat we're in, I made many inquiries as to what was the fastest hip on all of Florin Channel and everyone agreed it was this one."
"You're right," the Turk agreed, staring back. "He isn't gaining on us. He's just getting closer, that's all." p. 101

1 comment:

  1. Love this! The Princess Bride was a family favorite growing up. But I think the humor doesn't hit you at the first viewing - it has to grow on you. I've read the book once, but I'd like to read it again to compare.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails