Pages

Tuesday, November 28, 2017

What's On Your Nightstand - October & November


I ran out of time last month to get my Nightstand posted so you get a two for one this month.
I did quite a bit of reading in October and a fair share in November. I did put four books on my Nightstand for December, whether I read them all or not will remain to be seen. Nevertheless, something will be read!

For December:
 

From September's Nightstand I read:

  • Own Your Life by Sally Clarkson - This was a great read and one that I probably need to re-read in a few months just to take everything in.
  • Reading People by Anne Bogel - I love to read about personalities and at first I thought this book was going to be redundant from things I knew, but she went into quite a few different personality finders and really piqued my curiosity to look into them more. 

Still reading:

  • Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery - I am reading this with an online book club and they are reading it slower than I had anticipated so thus I'm still reading it.

I also read:

  • Audacity Jones to the Rescue by Kirby Larson - I dived into a little bit of kid's fiction this month. This was a cute read.
  • Bath Tangle by Georgette Heyer - When I get into a reading slump I read a Heyer or Wodehouse. This time it was Heyer. This isn't probably one of her best books, but still enjoyable.
  • A Dangerous Engagement by Melanie Dickerson - Well, I found I was having a hard time believing in this story. I found myself laughing and it wasn't at the characters in the book, but rather the book itself.
  • Gilead by Marilynne Robinson - I read this along with the Close-Reads podcast. I read Robinson's Housekeeping years ago and HATED it, so I was quite hesitant to read Gilead. Thankfully, this was a very thought provoking read and a story I could like.
  • Jasper and the Riddle of Riley's Mine by Caroline Starr Rose - I'm always on the look out for a good adventure story for my son. Unfortunately, I didn't pass this on. It was an okay read and that was about it.
  • The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer - Another Heyer book. Any story that she puts siblings is always a fun book. 
  • The Talisman Ring by Georgette Heyer  - Somehow I have never read this book and my daughter recommended it. This was an excellent read. It's like reading a comedy instead of watching it.

I listened to:

  • The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson - My co-op class is doing Reader's Theater this year and we are working on this story. Of course, that required some research. Such a fun Christmas story.
  • Echo by Pam Munoz Ryan - If you haven't read this book I highly recommend you add it to your list. It is kid's fiction, but such a great read. I do highly recommend the audio since it adds a lot to the story. 
  • Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie - Another Close Reads book. I listened to the audio with David Suchet as the narrator. (He is Poirot, right?) Murder isn't one of my favorite Christie stories so I'm not sure if I'll watch the new film or not.

For November I read:

  • A Fine Romance: Falling in Love with the English Countryside by Susan Branch - Do you need a vacation but don't have time or money? I highly recommend you search out this book. It is a vacation in a book! Not only is the book beautiful on the inside and out, but I felt like I was traveling with the author and taking in the all sights and experiences. Highly recommended!
  • A Portrait of Emily Price by Katherine Reay - I have really enjoyed Katherine Reay books. I did find the end of this story left me hanging a bit. 
  • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens - I have been reading this book with my kids over the last 12 weeks. It is my first time through and oh my, what a story! Dickens is a master story teller. (Yes, my kids had to hand me Kleenex as we finished the book.)
  • To Be Where You Are by Jan Karon - Karon is another master story teller. I was not disappointed in the latest Mitford book.
  • Understood Betsy by Dorothy Canfield Fisher - Another book that I read aloud with my youngest daughter for school. Such a great little story.
  • Make Your Bed by William H. McRaven - Can I just rave about this book? I absolutely loved it! Such great advice and given in short little blurbs with some great stories interspersed throughout. I may or may not have a couple of kids getting copies for Christmas.
  • Sing! How Worship Transforms Your Life, Family, and Church by Keith & Kristyn Getty - Such a great reminder about the importance of singing. As a song leader and a musician I found it a great reminder of why I do what I do.


4 comments:

  1. I loved Anne of Green Gables. I never read the series as a child, but I'm enjoying them now. I just finished Anne of the Island and looking forward to getting to the next book.

    I've never read Georgette Heyer, but have one of her books on my bookshelf. Glad to see you enjoy them. I will have to get to mine soon!

    I also would love to read Susan Branch's book, but haven't had any luck in finding it at the library or online. Hope you enjoy all your reads in November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished To Be Where You Are recently - always love visiting Mitford. I tried and laid aside A Tale of Two Cities 2 or 3 times before finally persevering, and now it's one of my top 2 favorite novels. I enjoy Katherine Reay's books, too. I liked Melanie Dickerson's fairy tale series, but I'm hesitant about the Regency spies series - the idea itself just sounds so ludicrous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have so many books here that I'd love to read! And one or two that I have already read. I enjoyed Reading People as well, and like you, I thought I wouldn't learn very much, yet I did. Hope you have a great reading month in December! Can't believe it's almost here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always so impressed with the amount that you read! I think Anne of Green Gables is slow but a good read aloud with the kids- makes them sleepy! I am just beginning my Mitford journey, so I am glad to hear her latest is good as well. Happy reading in December!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails